Commentary on Comments



“I loved your article and so did 12 of my friends - go here to check them out.”

Who doesn't enjoy seeing a comment on their post? Then when they read the above it just leaves them empty. I know I feel that way every time. I am on Word Press too, and it is unfortunate because the people who use this type of comment are only looking for backlinks for their own site. That won’t get you any traffic that stays to read anything. That is what is available on Word Press to help you get backlinks.
I hope that I never become callous so I would
assume that something such as the above would even come close to a comment. I would not insult another writer by sending one of those canned comments to them, even if I hated the article.
Have you given a sincere comment or compliment? Come on people, If I make a remark on an article I may tell them what caught my eye and why, or this was funny when she fell off… or perhaps tell them I cried because I felt that heavy load along with you. 

Among my comments when I last checked the other day, were a few constructive criticisms. Such as I need to check my spelling more carefully; this is something I sometimes get sloppy about and that does nothing for my articles. I appreciated that, and I am checking more carefully now. I was told that I had a broken link. I appreciate that too. Who has gotten constructive criticism that got upset about it? Let’s be honest with ourselves. I am always glad when someone criticizes me and I am able to do something to make it right. It's hard to read comments such as the above-quoted remark. I never put much stock in statements such as these and in fact, I skip over them. I alone get an empty feeling, to say the least. When I see such generic comments I feel as if they are taking up space to tell me nothing. In fact, I would rather someone not comment at all than leave the above…
 
It matters not whether it's on my site or another. There is nothing personal, nothing special about such references. In fact, I can't help feel as if that person didn't read the article very well or worse yet, it went over their head.

What's wrong with stopping and take a good look at the photo, or read the whole article through and then make a remark? Before you make a reference to whatever article you are ready to make an observation of, do just that, observe.

If a person just takes the time to look, read, think, and feel then someone that observed would make some useful references to the work you can see. If you are going to compliment someone on something you like, then write what it made you feel and why. If you want to criticize some piece of work, then why not tell them something that can make them a little bit better writer? You know, something that they can use. How about something such as "I love the post on "Fork;" I found that funny and sad at the same time. My stepdad was a good one too."

Now, that is a comment that means something to a writer, a photographer, painter, or any other artist. That person worked hard to do that piece, and a thoughtful remark is very well appreciated. If you are not able to make a meaningful comment, then it is better left unsaid. What is even better would be something such as this comment I received on an article; "Loved the Face of Dementia, my mom had Alzheimer's and it is sad to watch them go downhill. I give a like and thumbs up to that difficult subject. More people need to know the stages so they know what they are in for if a loved one has dementia."

Seriously, give your sincere comments on something positive or something that touched your heart or you agreed with. That is encouraging to all writers no matter how long they have been writing or how famous they are. I only hope one thing. I hope that I am able to look back and say that I have never written one insincere comment to anyone for anything.

 



Comments

Popular Posts